Delicious Chettinad Chicken Curry Recipe: No Onion or Garlic Required!
Chettinad Chicken Curry is a popular South Indian dish known for its rich and robust flavors. Traditionally, the recipe calls for a generous amount of onions and garlic. However, for those who prefer to avoid these ingredients due to dietary restrictions or personal preferences, it is indeed possible to prepare a delicious Chettinad Chicken Curry without them. The secret lies in the unique blend of spices and the method of preparation. Let’s delve into the details of this flavorful and aromatic dish.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 500 grams of chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1 tablespoon of ginger paste
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of Chettinad masala
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
Preparation of Chettinad Masala
Chettinad Masala is the heart of this dish. Here’s how you can prepare it:
- Dry roast 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds, 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon of peppercorns, 2 dried red chilies, 1 teaspoon of poppy seeds, and 2 cardamom pods.
- Once the spices are well-roasted and aromatic, grind them into a fine powder.
Method of Preparation
Follow these steps to prepare the Chettinad Chicken Curry:
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once they start to splutter, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, and green chilies.
- Add the ginger paste and sauté until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and mushy.
- Add the chicken pieces, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well and cook until the chicken turns white.
- Add the Chettinad masala and mix well. Cook on low heat until the chicken is fully cooked and the flavors are well combined.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
So, there you have it – a delicious Chettinad Chicken Curry without onions or garlic. This dish is a testament to the fact that you can create flavorful and aromatic dishes without relying on onions and garlic. The unique blend of spices in the Chettinad masala compensates for the absence of these ingredients, resulting in a dish that is both tasty and aromatic.