Elote (Mexican Street Corn) Pizza
Elote, also known as Mexican street corn, is a beloved and iconic dish that combines the flavors of sweet corn, tangy lime, creamy mayonnaise, and spicy chili powder. It’s a popular street food in Mexico, often served on a stick or in a cup. But have you ever thought about turning this delicious treat into a pizza? Elote pizza takes all the flavors of traditional elote and combines them with the cheesy goodness of pizza. It’s a unique and mouthwatering twist on two classic dishes. In this article, we’ll explore the history of elote, the ingredients needed for elote pizza, and a step-by-step recipe to make this delectable dish at home.
The History of Elote
Elote has a long and rich history in Mexican cuisine. Corn has been a staple food in Mexico for thousands of years, dating back to ancient civilizations such as the Mayans and Aztecs. The indigenous people of Mexico would roast or boil corn and then slather it with various toppings, such as lime juice, chili powder, and cheese. This simple yet flavorful combination became known as elote.
Ingredients for Elote Pizza
To make elote pizza, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 pre-made pizza dough
- 1 cup of cooked corn kernels
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Follow these simple steps to make your own elote pizza:
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Roll out the pre-made pizza dough on a floured surface to your desired thickness.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture evenly over the pizza dough.
- Sprinkle the cooked corn kernels over the mayonnaise mixture.
- Sprinkle the crumbled cotija cheese over the corn.
- Dust the top of the pizza with chili powder.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Garnish the pizza with chopped cilantro and squeeze fresh lime juice over the top.
- Slice the pizza and serve hot.
Enjoy the unique and delicious flavors of elote pizza!